Tuesday, March 5, 2013

dirty laundry

So I never believed in a family bed nor did I EVER think I'd be one that would allow my child/ren to sleep in our bed however, we are that family. Ever since we moved our bed has been a place of rest for 4 family members - insert deep sigh. 

While Preston began sleeping in the pack and play beside our bed in Cedar Falls, we quickly realized he much preferred our bed and slept SO much more and better when cuddled up next to me. So, what'd our sleep deprived selfs do? We allowed him to sleep next to me. Then once we moved Lily became really scared often in her new room. She would wake up screaming and screaming and have a really hard time settling down unless she was cuddled up next to us. So, what'd our sleep deprived selfs do? We allowed her to sleep in between us.

So our bed looked something like this - Preston on one end, then me, then Lily, then Jimmy. Glad we went with a king sized bed!

And we've been dragging our feet on correcting our problem, until recently. A few weeks ago we got Lily a big girl bed. My thought process was that maybe if we made a really big deal out of getting her a new bed, letting her pick out a toy/stuffed animal to sleep with her in her new bed, a new pillow, etc. that she would be excited to sleep there. And it's been working, for naps. We have yet to make the transition at night but we are getting there - slowly but surely! She has taken all her naps in her big girl bed for the last week and our plan is to get her sleeping in their at night within the next week too. I do have (somewhat) of a valid excuse on this one as Jimmy has been working late nights all this past month so I'd rather wait for him when I can have his help.

And Preston....I can confidently say that he is now sleeping in his crib all night long as of a few days ago. And although I do genuinely miss our snuggles I am sleeping so much better, and I think he is too! He has transitioned to waking only one time in the night and it's been so wonderful.

So one down, one to go until we have our bed back to ourselves. And I think I can pretty confidently say that once a 3rd child comes along he or she will start out in the crib so we don't have to go through this transition period again!

Lets hope I'm not the only one whose bed isn't their own and who has become that person that does something they said they'd never do. I think as a parent we all find ourselves doing this on a thing or two. 

4 comments:

  1. Glad to read you are sleeping better! Sounds like the Cancun trip is coming close! Whose watching the kiddos? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel like parenting is all about doing the things you said you'd never do! You do what you need to do to survive sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of us ABSOLUTELY do many things we swore we'd never do as parents. It's how we get by some days and especially when it comes to sleep...do what you gotta do to sleep...is my motto! :) Glad you're working on reclaiming that bed though. Everyone will sleep better in their own space for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, we did some major co-sleeping, Jenna! I actually have a big parenting regret about not co-sleeping more often with Jude - once I let him cry in his crib out of desperation, when I believe he was a little too young for it. And Theo was such a fussy baby; sleeping with him the first few months was my only relief. He slept just fine all night in his crib once he was ready. NBD. Good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete