Wednesday, January 18, 2012

new years in cali

I think this is my last catching up from the holidays blog - yeah!

As I mentioned in my Christmas blog we flew out to San Diego just after Christmas to spend a week in the sunshine with my family. My aunt, mom's sister, has been in California ever since she was 18 so they've been there my whole life and this is only the 2nd time I've gone to visit - terrible! But, alas, we all went in celebration of my cousin, Willie's New Years Eve wedding and we had a blast!

My mom and dad, sister Jacinda and hubby Clint, Jimmy, Lily and I all flew out of Des Moines together on the 28th. It was two quick flights with a layover in between in Denver and we were in the sunshine! I don't think I have to say how much of a warm weather, beach, ocean, and relaxing kind of girl I am so I was thrilled to be there opposed to the cold weather in Iowa.

We met my sister Kirsten and her family there as they were flying in from Denver the following day. My parents rented us a 4 bedroom house for the week so that we could all be together in the same space and it was great. Each family had their own room and that worked out well, especially with the kiddos.

The first day we arrived we spent some time getting settled in, getting some groceries for the week, and then spent some time at my aunts with the rest of the family in the afternoon before back to our place for pizza that night. It was awesome to spend time with everyone - especially since we don't see our family from CA very often!

The next few days were spent with a little shopping trip (in LOVE with Nordstorms Rack), lots of time at the beach, a few trips to In-n-Out Burger, a 1st birthday party at SeaWorld for my nephew Sam, and the wedding, of course!

checking out the ocean

1st time at the beach

hanging out at the house - dad, sam, and asher
rehearsal dinner

bride and groom - willie & mackenzie
The wedding was great also. It was a beautiful outdoor ceremony, with a cocktail hour overlooking the mountains, sunset, and palm trees - LOVE!, and then a fun reception filled with plenty of dancing - their dance floor was packed the whole night, so much fun! And then of course ringing in the new year complete with party hats, horn blowers, and confetti poppers. Fun fun night!

bride & groom

mom & dad

my sisters  & i at the ceremony

my grandma & grandpa dieken

our family at the wedding

my aunts dancing the night away!

baby girl & i

our family of 3 - lily the party animal who was there until the end!

sister kirsten & i ringing in the new year

mom & dad dancing

happy new year - sister jacinda and hubby clint

The highlight of the trip for me was definitely bringing Lily to the ocean for the first time. Honestly I can't explain how much I love the beach and the water - it's so relaxing for me and I just absolutely love the feeling of warm sunshine! And it was fun to watch Lily see the beach and ocean for the first time. She dug her tiny little fingers and toes into the sand and just relaxed too - I think she takes after her mama on this one :) She wasn't so sure about the ocean - I don't blame her, it was cold! But I love sharing these first experiences with our baby girl. Although we will have to bring her back in a few years when she will actually remember it!
beach time!
on to Sea World

kirsten & the birthday boy sammy

checking out the sea lions

checking out the fish

shamu
Overall it was a great trip. We have gone on warm trips the last few years during Christmas time and I could get used to that! Maybe we will start that as a tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment