Monday, January 9, 2012

christmas 2011

What a wonderful Christmas we had.


Bare with me the next few days as I get caught up on my blogging!


Christmas this year was so much fun. I think it was a combination of living back in Iowa and close to family so we didn't have to spend our whole break traveling back, having a baby this year and being able to watch her experience her 1st Christmas (although I know she won't remember it nor did she really have a clue what was going on), and then an awesome trip to California with my family made this Christmas extra special. Oh yeah, and the fact that it's been in the 40s+ in Dec/Jan in Iowa - LOVE it! Snow, you can skip us this winter and that'd be just fine with me!


So back to Christmas.


Before Christmas we had a fun day of baking goodies at our place with my mom, grandma, sister in law, and niece. This year we made peanut blossoms, sugar cookies, dipped pretzel thins, mint chocolate chip cookies, fudge, and pretzel rice krispie clusters. Yummy! It was a fun day of being together and making some goodies to share! I actually still have some in the freezer now that I think of it.....


Since Lily is still young enough to not really know the difference of Chrimas Eve, Christmas Day, Santa and all that jazz we decided to do our own family Christmas in the afternoon on the 23rd.We had a nice little afternoon at home opening presents with Lily and enjoying our time as a family of 3! Lily loved the toys we picked out for her - we decided to each only get her 1 toy, which ended up us each getting her 2 toys but I thought we did well at not going overboard for her 1st Christmas! Even with just a few things I could tell Lily was overwhelmed, as we helped her open up her toys she wasn't sure which one to play with or where to look!

lily and i looking at her stocking goodies

lily getting into her stocking

present from mommy

present from daddy
Christmas Eve was spent at the Grover's house - we arrived late afternoon and enjoyed some snacks, opened gifts, had a yummy dinner, and then attended their little church's Christmas service. It was actually a very interesting sermon and a spin off of the tradition Christmas service - the pastor spoke about all the instances in the Bible prior to Jesus' arrival that tell us why we needed Jesus to come and save the world - I liked her message. After church we spent the rest of the evening hanging out together and watching a movie.

getting into her big present from gma and gpa

eating ribbon
excitied about the paper
our family after church
lily may
all ready for bed with her 1st pair of cmas jammies
Christmas day we were off to the Davis household for Christmas with my family. My mom made the traditional Christmas dinner that we enjoyed for lunch and then we spent majority of the afternoon outside. Who would have thought that we'd spend Christmas day in Iowa outside? My parents had bought a huge inflatable ball that's made for people to go inside of it and be rolled around. They bought it for the grandkids but I think us adults had even more fun with it! We also got the 4 wheeler out and the kiddos enjoyed rides with grandpa and sledding behind the 4 wheeler - truly an Iowa Christmas :) After all the outdoor fun we went inside to open presents. I was in charge of the evening activities and we played several Christmas themed "minute to win it" games such as - who can get the sugar cookie from your forehead to mouth without using your hands the fastest, who can get the most marshmallows through the wreath into the bucket in 1 min, who can balance the most ornaments on the yard stick in 1 min, who can stack and unstack plastic cups the quickest, and who can get the fuzzy pom pom hanging from a string in your mouth to stick to your vaseline covered nose in 1 min? Needless to say, it was lots of fun and very entertaining!


the kiddos with the big ball

gma / my mom in the ball





opening presents
 
lily and grandpa davis on the 4 wheeler


ready for bed in cmas jammies #2
 Followed by a few days of shopping and getting packed up for California and then the evening of the 28th we were off to sunny San Diego for a week and that was our Christmas this year!

Christmas is always such a fun time of year. I absolutely love the focus of Jesus, time with family, and the time to reflect on another abundt year of blessings. This last picture is my favorite from this Christmas - the two people that light up my world and love me every single day, no matter what - so blessed!

lily and jimmy cmas eve

No comments:

Post a Comment