Thursday, November 8, 2012

adjusting

Well we have officially moved and are now residents of Ankeny. We spent last weekend guiding the movers on Friday and unpacking boxes with the help of my parents and my sister and brother in law the rest of the weekend. We had a nice break from the paper and boxes and had a dinner party at Jimmy's bosses house on Saturday night and then back at it for most of the day on Sunday. My parents left town and in rolled my mother in law, Robin, to help for a few more days. Monday and Tuesday brought more unpacking and organizing and now we are officially on our own in a new city!

I've always enjoyed moving - it gives you the chance to learn a new place, meet new friends, and see what different places have to offer. However, with kiddos moving is a bit more stressful, less fun, more challenging, and doesn't quite allow you as much flexible to just go explore. That being said, I have a feeling we will like it here, that we will meet some new friends - in addition to the ones that we already know here!, and that once we get adjusted things will be good.

We still have an ever growing to do list of things to do around the house before I'd say we are officially settled - tighten curtain rods, hang pictures and prints, organize toy room, organize closets, unpack the garage, get toilet paper holders and towel hooks for bathrooms - this is a new construction home so, per our request, it was left undone, get rid of boxes, unpack garage....you get the picture. 

Although we have a rather long to-do list I am proud to say that every box inside the house is unpacked and relatively where it's suppose to be. I have all the decorating mostly complete, with the exception of actually hanging things on the walls! So we've come along ways in just a weeks time.

The kiddos are adjusting just ok. Of course Preston doesn't know any different but Lily is learning that this is our new house, I think. Once her toys began to fill the space and her room got unpacked I think she realized we were here to stay and not just visiting. Night time has been an adjustment that may take a while to actually adjust to. Lily has woken up almost every night just screaming with fear. You can easily tell she just doesn't know where she is and has a hard time being calmed down, even by Jimmy or I. But we know this is just part of it. Soon (hopefully) she will go back to her usual sleeping pattern and we will all be back to getting good/normal rest.

Other than that things are going well. We spent the morning today exploring our neighborhood park, which is quite impressive, and I plan to spend the afternoon doing some catching up on things other than unpacking or organizing - hence why I'm blogging during nap time :)

More to come, I will post pictures and such once we get things hung on these bare walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment