Tuesday, January 8, 2013

an honest heart

Today I write with an honest and open heart.

The months leading up to the Christmas season have been a bit difficult for me. It seemed like things in life for me were just unsettled and flat out difficult. While I was having a more than anticipated difficult time adjusting to 2 kids and staying at home full time we also moved to Ankeny.

I was excited about this move. I tend to like bigger cities, I was looking forward to living by my sister and best friend from college, and I wasn't sure I was quite ready to settle down "for good" in Cedar Falls. However, this transition and move for me was way more challenging than I expected.

The first few months of having Preston around were just plain hard. It seemed like one kid was always in need of a diaper change, I couldn't seem to get them to ever be asleep at the same time, I had forgotten how much a newborn eats and quickly became overwhelmed with the task of nursing, I then got a breast infection which caused nursing to be extremely painful, and things just seemed to be difficult. I felt totally unprepared for the task of 2 children and their demands. I felt like no one told me it was going to be this difficult, and if they did, I didn't believe them. Combine all this with the typical postnatal emotions and you have one hot mess!

Then we moved to Ankeny. My stress level elevated immensely and quite frankly I was just a bit sad. I felt like I didn't have anyone I could really talk to, Jimmy was putting in long hours at the office due to the adjustments surrounding a new job for him, and the days just seemed long.

So, those few months for me were just difficult. I didn't feel like myself, I felt a lot of sadness while I should have been feeling so grateful for our new life, I felt like moving was the wrong decision for our family when I should have been anxious to explore a new place.

So what changed and how are things now? One day I just realized I was being silly - it really is almost as simple as that. I talked to Jimmy about a lot of the feelings I had been holding inside - a lot of which he already knew because he knows me so well - and we just talked about things that we could change to make it better.

And so we have a list. A list of goals, changes, resolutions - whatever you want to call them, that we are focusing on, as a family and individually, in 2013. And I thought I'd share our list of with you.

1. Focus on healthier eating habits by: making a meal plan every week, only plan on eating out 1 meal/week, have a fruit and vegetable with every meal, and no dessert unless it's a special occasion.
2. Do something active as a family at least once a week
3. Find a church home and get involved in at least one way
4. Establish and commit to a better bedtime routine with the kids by: being consistent on the time, being consistent on how they fall asleep, and being consistent on whether or not they come into our bed
5. Go on a date at least once a month
6. Have dinner with Jacinda and Clint (my sister and brother in law) once a week as often as possible
7. Go on a trip without the kids this year
8. Visit Colorado twice this year
For Jimmy:
1. Spend at least 1 full week at the farm during Spring and Harvest season
2. Buy a dirt bike and ride it a few weekends this year with friends
3. Work less - focus on being home at 5pm every day
For Jenna:
1. Join at least 1 club, organization, or group this year
2. Establish a cleaning schedule and ask Jimmy for help
3. Update the bow blog and work on increasing the business
4. Do something fun with the kids at least once a week outside the home

So that's our list. I feel like they are so realistic yet will be such positive changes for us as a family and as individuals. I am beyond blessed to have a husband that recognizes when I am struggling and is there to walk along side me and figure out how to make it better. I also know that it's just me that feels alone, that I am absolutely not alone, never. Aside from the fact that God is always always there for me, I have countless friends and family that I know is there, if I just reach out and ask for their help!

So that's that - an honest post from a very honest place in my heart. It's not always easy for me to admit when I'm struggling but I know that it is so helpful not only for me, but others that may be experiencing some of the same things.




2 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you guys with your goals, they are very doable (especially the visit CO twice this year...you're about to check one those visits off your list). That 2nd child was a really difficult transition for me as well. I also dealt with a lot of emotions I had never experienced before including feeling completely overwhelmed and out of control (and without a move in there). I hope you know I am ALWAYS here for you, ALWAYS ready and willing to chat/listen, and I ALWAYS ALWAYS understand!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you were having a tough time, Jenna. But glad it is getting better. You had many changes and adjustments in your life in a few months time, so to feel out of sorts/not normal for a while is very understandable. Love your goals too. Gives hope and motivation, don't you think? I'm glad you have Jacinda close by, and a great husband, and a mom who can't stand to be away too long :). Love you, Jenna.

    ReplyDelete