Thursday, August 1, 2013

clean eating

A few months ago Jimmy and I decided to really change the way we eat. We decided to eliminate processed food, as best we can, cut out the pop and most sugars, and eat primarily lean proteins, fruits and vegetables, or what some would call "clean eating" I honestly thought it would be so much harder than it has been. The first few days were really rough for me without pop, I would say I drank the equvialent to 1 diet coke every day for probably the last 5 years or so. So for me that was the toughest part. However, once I got past those 3 days where I was literally going through withdrawl - scary that this can happen for only pop! it's been SO much better. 

So far Jimmy has lost almost 50 lbs! and I've lost 15. We both feel great and while I think he'd like to lose just a bit more I still feel like I have a ways to go BUT we are proud of our accomplishment so far - especially Jimmy, why is it so easy for guys?! We are thrilled that we've been able to do it using no supplement products or vitamins and truly do it the natural way. While I have been working out 4-5 times a week for the past few months Jimmy has yet to find the time in his schedule to do so. However, I'd say we've made some significant changes and conscious decisions to be more active. Whether that means a bike ride or walk at night, Jimmy signing up to play in a flag football league, or me riding my bike to the pool instead of driving, it's been good!

I can't say that I feel a whole lot different, my clothes definitely fit better and I am back in all my pre-pregnancy clothes but it definitely feels good to just be active and feel good about what we're putting in our bodies. And Jimmy would definitely say he feels better - he was drinking lots of pop, eating snacks and sometimes lunch out of the vending machines at work, and felt so tired by the end of his work day. Now he drinks no pop (or coffee!), I make him a healthy lunch every day for him to bring along, we've stocked his work drawers with healthy snacks for him to grab if needed, and he has much more energy to play with our kiddos or do something active together at night. I've loved seeing his physical and emotional transformation!

Some people have asked what a typical day of meals looks like and it's really quite simple. While I must say Jimmy would be perfectly content eating the same thing every day for weeks on end, I am not so I definitely have had to find ways to be creative and/or change it up! But, here's what a typical day of meals would like look for us - nothing crazy!

Breakfast - 
Jenna - hard boiled egg, whole wheat toast or cereal, and grapefruit or other fruit, water to drink and a cup of coffee a little bit later in the morning :)
Jimmy - hard boiled egg, vanilla yogurt with fresh berries, water to drink

Lunch:
Jenna - salad with lots of veggies and grilled chicken or turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread and a vegetable for side
Jimmy - turkey sandwich on wheat bread and veggies with ranch. Then I also pack some cheese, grapes, apple, and sometimes some sort of cracker for him to snack on. If he's lucky he gets a homemade granola bar every once in a while too :)

Dinner:
Grilled chicken breast, fresh green beans, salad, and sometimes fruit.

I usually have a few snacks throughout the day as well. Sometimes it's a few slices of cheese and a handful of almonds, other times it's some cut up cucumber or an apple. The key is no, or very limited sugar, and lots of water. I have also found it helpful to eat before I am hungry otherwise those are the time when I tend to stray and eat the things I shouldn't be. I must also admit that these last few weeks have been difficult for me. At some point you just get tired of munching on vegetables and want a brownie! So I've allowed myself to enjoy a few things that I previously wasn't and to me that's ok, it's a journey and that's reality. But that's our journey so far. I have a few key goals in mind - a certain weight I want to be by Preston's first birthday and then a certain weight I'd like to be by my 30th birthday! With hard work I know I can get there and slow and steady is definitely the key, in my opinion, to getting it, and keeping it off!

May 2013


July 2013


2 comments:

  1. Nice work! Once I deliver this baby I need to catch some of your motivation and lose some weight too. Sounds like you guys are doing a great job. Can't wait to see it for myself in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete