Tuesday, August 9, 2011

busy week

We had a very busy week last week. My sister and her 2 boys were here all week visiting from Colorado, it was so much fun to have them here and just spend lots of time together. Jimmy had never met our youngest nephew Sam, who's exactly 4 months older than Lily (he's 7 months) and I hadn't seen Sam since I visited Denver when he was just 2 weeks old! On top of all our fun activities it was my first week back at work so it was a busy one! It actually worked out well for me because I was able to leave Lily at my mom's all week in the morning's while I worked and then join up with them in the afternoon for whatever activities we were doing for the day. Kirsten (my sister) hadn't met Lily yet so I think she enjoyed the extra time in those mornings getting to know her more.

We started out the week with a hangout day at my parents. The kiddos played outside and inside while the grown ups caught up on life.
gma & the 2 babes
Tuesday we spent the afternoon window shopping in Grundy after lunch at Manly's - a little old school soda shop in the back of a drugstore. Tuesday night my younger sister Jacinda was able to join us for the rest of the week also.

ice cream time - eden, asher & devin
little sammy & i
Wednesday was a day in Cedar Falls so we all met up at my house late morning/early afternoon. The gang headed to Scratch bakery and Sweet Basil Market downtown for some goodies - 2 of the best places in town while I finished up some work. Then we enjoyed lunch at my place before heading to the pool for the afternoon. We were there all afternoon and had a blast! Cedar Falls has a great public pool with lots to offer all ages. We enjoyed the kiddie pool, the lazy river, and the waterslides! Funny story - I brought our camera to snap some pictures while there and not but 2 seconds after I snapped my first photo I was whistled at by the lifeguard and asked if I had a camera pass. I had no idea one needed a camera pass to snap pictures so of course I said no. He then told me I needed to go talk to the manager - so I headed that way. I was quickly briefed on the pool policy for taking pictures which I found rather humorous (good and safe) yet somewhat funny - he told me I could only take pictures of family and friends and if I was caught taking pictures of unsuspecting children I would be asked to leave.I told him I thought I could handle it so I was good to go:)

After the pool we did pizza and Scratch cupcakes at my place before calling it a day.

sister kirsten & sam (7 months)

asher on the lazy river (3 yrs)

devin (5 yrs) & gpa

lily lounging on the lazy river (3 months)

sister in law kristle & eden (3 yrs)

sam lounging (7 months)

kirsten & her boys

sister jacinda & mom

jacinda with asher & sam
Thursday was another bum around day and visiting all the pets at my brother and sister in laws place. In the last few months they have acquired chickens, a sheep, and a goat. The kiddos enjoyed playing on the trampoline, riding the battery cars, and petting all the animals - Lily wasn't sure what to think of all the animals - her eyes got real big when we walked into the place where they are all kept:)

mom & jacinda with peas from the garden

jimmy taking the boys fishing in the jeep
Then Friday was our last day of fun. We had a "craft day" with my mom, sisters, and grandma making hair pins, chalkboard frames, and fabric rosettes. It was a special day just hanging out together while attempting to be crafty, and visit with my grandma as well. It's so neat to think about all the memories we have together and the generations of change, family, and love that sat around the table that day. After dinner Friday night we had to say goodbye - which is never easy but we know we will see them again in a few months at my cousin's wedding in California!
gma & mom doing the craft


gma dieken & lily

gma & gpa with the grandkids

the girls

walking
Such a fun and busy week. I truly value the time I get to spend with my sisters (all 3 of them) and mom. They really are a few of my very best friends and I feel so blessed to have the relationship, and friendship, that we do. While it's always hard to go our seperate ways and resort to our own routines it really makes you treasure the time you do share all together that much more!

3 comments:

  1. Loved seeing you and Jimmy and meeting "Ms. May". Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a neat family, Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Hayley, we do have a neat family!!!! You are right Jenna, I absolutely adored getting to take care of Miss Lily and get to know her better! Can't wait to hold and squeeze her in CA. The time we spend together is so special which does make parting so difficult. We're going to rock it in CA though, see you there!:)

    ReplyDelete