Wednesday, February 1, 2012

So Long Insecurities

This fall I did a women’s bible study at Prairie Lakes church called “So Long Insecurities”. It’s a Beth Moore study and after going back and forth a bit – they offer 4-5 different studies - I settled on that one with a friend due to our current feelings after having a baby, primarily thinking about my insecurity regarding my post baby body. However, I soon realized that not only is this a universal struggle for so many women (body image) but there are so many other “faces” to insecurity.
There were about 30-40 women in our study and it was both large group discussion based and smaller discussions with those at your table. I got to know some women really well as we discussed issues in our lives, past and present, that make us who we are.
Beth Moore is such a talented writer. I had done one of her studies while living in NC and really liked it but with this book I was taken aback by the amount of research and opinions she provided us from the male perspective.
As I discovered my own insecurities with my body image, female relationships, past dating relationships, creativity, etc. it never once crossed my mind to think about how those insecurities affected Jimmy, and the other men in my life.
Beth Moore provided extensive research that she compiled from hundreds of men to share with us their perspective. I remember reading things like “its pathetic” “why don’t they just believe us when we tell them they’re beautiful” “it affects every aspect of our lives in one way or another” “why does she always need my reassurance that she looks good” I mean honestly, think about how those responses sound? “It’s pathetic” is exactly what it is.
I feel a constant struggle between my own feelings and sense of ownership to them and the “it’s pathetic” there are so many more important things than _____ response.
Aren’t we allowed the chance to feel unworthy, not pretty, fat, not a good enough friend, etc? And if so where is the line between God’s image and our own selfish desires to want to be more or better?
I think it’s such an interesting topic and good food for thought. The idea that we are enough and that God designed us exactly how we are, with these talents, and this body, and that he truly doesn’t care if you weight 100 or 500 lbs is refreshing isn’t it?!
While I think it’s good to always keep perspective of God and his perfect image of us it’s also good to want to better yourself, be healthy, work on your struggles, let go of your past. After all, those are the things that make us who we are, right?!
I decided not to do a study this winter/spring because of my work schedule and wanting to keep my days off to spend with Lily but, I really enjoyed my time with that group of women this fall and plan to do it again down the road to see what else God has in store for this little mind of mine J

No comments:

Post a Comment