Wednesday, February 8, 2012

a weekend away

This past weekend Jimmy and I spent our first weekend away, just the two of us since having Lily. We left Lily in the trusted care of his mom and hit the road for a relaxing weekend in Galena, IL. I planned our little trip as a chance to get some one on one time, an early Valentines get away, and a chance for us to relax, especially Jimmy, after lots of hard work and long international travel for work lately.
We stayed at the Eagle Ridge Resort and Spa and it was wonderful! I didn’t spend a whole lot of time researching and had only been to Galena once but it was one of the top rated placed and the first to show up so I booked itJ I had planned on a night in on Friday, outside snow activities on Saturday followed by a nice dinner out, and then Spa treatments on Sunday morning before hitting the road home. However, the lack of snow and abundance of warm(ish) weather messed up my Saturday plans a bit. So instead of cross country skiing and snow shoeing we hit up the indoor pool, found a great burger spot for lunch, walked in and out of a few shops (I’m sure Jimmy loved that!), and then caught a movie on Saturday instead. Oh yeah – we also enjoyed an afternoon napJ
Sunday morning we hit up the resorts spa where we indulged a bit in massages, facials, and a pedicure – loved it! And then hit the road home to see our beloved monkey!
I was pretty proud of myself for not thinking of her or consuming my thoughts with her the whole time. Now I did have one small crying episode the first nightJ which Jimmy handled well by kindly comforting me and reminding me that his mom knew how to take care of a baby (not that I doubted that!) J But after that I did my best to enjoy my husband’s company and spend some time together, and it was so wonderful. I honestly felt like we were dating again – laughing at dinner, wrestling and joking with each other, holding hands, talking about places we want to go and things we want to see, and some focused conversation on our marriage too.
It was a fun fun weekend and something we hope to do at least once a year. Sadly I didn’t take a single picture all weekend but here’s a few from our many adventures and get aways when we were dating – enjoy!
our 1st trip together to asheville, nc in may08

chicago

merry christmas - off to tenerife!

chicago - this time for a marathon!

snow showing in denver

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! What a great thing to do at least once a year. I love the picture of you guys snowshoeing here...it's so cute and brings back some fond memories!:)

    ReplyDelete