Friday, October 7, 2011

enchiladas

60 enchiladas to be exact.

I made 10 pans of 6 enchiladas for a total of 60 chicken enchiladas the other night. Why the heck would I do that? Well, let me tell you.

A friend of mine organized a group of 10 girls that were interested in doing a dinner swap. So, each person is responsible for making 1 meal and making 10 pans of it - one for each girl and one for themselves. We then get together at one of our houses and swap meals. So, you go home with 9 different meals you can stick in the freezer and use throughout the month - pretty handy huh?!

I usually plan for 4-5 meals per week my quick math tells me that will reduce the meals I will have to make by half - how awesome is that?!

Now this wasn't all fun and games. Of course the timing of this happened when Jimmy has been out of the country for 2 weeks for work. Which means I had to prepare 10 meals one night while occupying a 5 month old - not gonna happen! Luckily my mom was willing to come over and play with Lily while I worked on the enchiladas. It really wasn't as hard as it may sound aside from having to figure out how much ingredients I needed total and then how much ingredients to use in each pan so that you weren't starting skimpy to ensure you had enough by the last few pans and then find yourself having way more than you needed so stuffing those last few enchiladas clear full. This is where Jimmy would have come in handy:)

But - I figured it out and I must say, it was pretty successful. I have yet to actually try the enchiladas but I've made this receipe before so I am pretty confident that they will be tasty. Plus, I'm looking forward to the variety of meals in our freezer for the next month or so!

Another good thing about this group for me is that it's forcing me to expand my tastebuds a bit. I am sort of a picky eater and know what I like, therefore, I find myself making the same meals alot. So, this will allow us to enjoy some different stuff and my husband to get some red meat every now and then :)

1 comment:

  1. How awesome! I did that with some friends a couple times and it was so nice to have some meals ready to go!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete