Sunday, October 23, 2011

road trippin

Lily and I have been roading tripping this past week.
Last Saturday we hit the road to Des Moines for my first post pregnancy race - the Des Moines half marathon! The race was last Sunday and it went well, for the most part. I think I mentioned in a few posts throughout my training how different this training was for me. Post baby body running is much different than pre :) But running this race was a goal I set for myself as soon as I got pregnant. I was actually registered to run it last year when I found out I was pregnant so was unable to run it, last year was my first year in 6 years that I hadn't done a half or full marathon so I was determined to run it this year - even though Lily would only be 5 months old! I squeezed my training in when I was able - lots of time that meant running with the stroller, finding someone to watch Lily, or Jimmy juggling his schedule to be home with her. But I am so glad I did it - I proved to myself that I could get back in shape quickly and running is such a passion of mine it was good to be back at it. Now I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad it was over :) But that's how I am after every race - ready for a running break. So -- that was our weekend last weekend. Saturday hanging in Des Moines and Sunday was race day.
race expo

rebecca meyer from biggest loser

mom & dad

lily trying on some shades

lily & grandma
We stayed the night at my sister's on Sunday after the race because Jimmy was flying out for another work trip to Mexico and I was heading to Springfield for meetings for the week. So we both hit the road again early on Monday.

Monday afternoon I arrived in Springfield at our friends place where I was staying, enjoyed a nice dinner with some good friends, and then crashed before having to head to the office for the next few days. I joked with my boss that I had to re-evaluate my work wardrobe as I hadn't had to dress up for office days in a while:) My friend Korey watched Lily while I worked. It was strange being away from her all day but she did great and it made me very thankful that I don't have to do that every day! It again reassured me that part time is such a good fit for me right now.

Tuesday night I met up with my good friend Erica's mom and cousin whom I got to know well and spend some time with while we lived in Springfield. Again, it was fun seeing friends and catching up. They couldn't believe how much Lily had grown and of course showered her with plenty of kisses!

Wednesday was another day of work and a lively dinner with our good friends again and their kiddos. Check out our chubby white baby in this pic - hilarious! We miss our dinner night with these guys and hope they can make the trek to Iowa to see us sometime!

lily & elle

cade, parker, bryn, elle & lily - all our friends kiddos
Then Thursday Lily and I packed up and hit the road back to IA. Lily did pretty good traveling. This was my first time driving this far with her by myself. Generally speaking she does ok but every once in a while she just doesn't want to be in that carseat and she lets you know it so I was a little nervous. But both times I left about nap time so she slept for a few hours and then we just made a few additional stops after that. Thursday night we stopped in Des Moines and stayed at my sisters again.

lily sucking on some melon

happy girl even though she gets carted all over the place!
Friday we ran some errands, did a little work and email catch up, then had dinner and a movie night with my best friend Katie, her little one Harper, and my sister and brother in law. Then Saturday it was up bright and early to join a group in support of Katie's mom's fight again breast cancer. The Susan Komen Race for a Cure was in Des Moines this weekend so we did that yesterday. What a neat event - I hadn't done this race before and it was fun to see all the people all decked out in pink and supporting such a good cause! I was glad we could partcipate and support Pat - Katie is such a special person in my life and I know she would do the same for me if cancer was something my family was dealing with!
lily & harper - lily kept putting her fingers in harper's mouth and harper would just suck them :)

susan komen race - start line

all the people
Then Saturday afternoon we hit the road back to Cedar Falls - pit stop at my parents and now home sweet home. I must say as much as I like to travel I love coming home to my own house. The smell when you walk in, your own comfy bed, clean clothes in the washer, and your own shower - there's nothing like it, is there?!

So that's where we've been this past week hence the blogging break - just too busy! But I should be right back on track this week as we get back into the swing of things - hope you had a great weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment