Wednesday, August 29, 2012

a few projects

In my 36 week post I mentioned a few projects that we have tackled lately. One being a canvas project in Lily's room and the other a storage room converted play room in the basement for Lily. Well I thought I'd share a few pictures and details with you.....


Lily's Canvas Project

I have seen a few friends do this and speak about how easy it was so I thought I'd give it a try and I really like how it turned out. I bought a handful of canvases from Hobby Lobby, some photo paper, and modge podge and within a few hours I had these lovely prints......



Lily used to have a phrase above her crib in stick on black letters - well you can about guess what happened to those as soon as she was able to reach them....off they came. So this wall has sat empty for a few months while I figured out what to do with it. I contemplated painting her initials on the wall, searched for a print, spent time on pinterest, and finally came to this conclusion.

This was a SUPER easy project and one that has some imperfections but I like how they turned out and for now they will do.

Basement Play Room

In our basement we have a small awkward shaped space underneath the stairs that has served as a catch all storage room for us the past year, as well as the previous owners of our house. However, quite a while ago Jimmy and I decided that it'd be fun to turn that space into a play area for Lily. With a completion goal of "before the baby comes" and Jimmy traveling most the summer we hadn't yet tackled it, until the other week where Jimmy got motivated (I may have pushed him a little) and he basically completed the project in 1 day!


We had already cleaned out the room but he had to wire in lighting, dry wall half the space, paint, lay wood flooring, lay the trim, and hang some shelves for her books. So, not too easy of a task. However, once he got going he just kept working until it was done! Then it was my turn to organize and plan out the space. I had acquired a few things a while back knowing that we'd someday use them and I think it turned out pretty darn cute.

We plan on getting Lily a play kitchen for Christmas that will fit well in this space too but for now she loves it and we love having a contained, out of the way space for majority of her toys. I've always said - just because I have kids doesn't mean you'll find toys stretched out and consuming every inch of my house and this definitely helps achieve that! :)
lily helping daddy with the shelves




enjoying her new spot





2 comments:

  1. That little space for Lily is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it, what a great space for Little Miss Lil to play! Looks like she likes it too! And LOOOOVVVVEEEE the canvases. Can't wait to see them in person and maybe steal your idea!:)

    ReplyDelete