Monday, October 25, 2010

life as we know it

Jimmy and I have now been married 7 months and we found out in August that we were pregnant. So 7 months of marriage and 3 months of pregnancy. Oofta. Our lives since marriage have been busy. We both have jobs that keep us very busy. We went from living in different states to living in the same household, driving together to work every day, sitting 50 feet from each other in an office of 50 people, driving home from work together, and spending our evening’s doing things that married people do in the evenings – being together. So, needless to say, it’s been a big change for us. But, speaking on both our behalves, I think I can confidently say a good one. We spent quite a bit of time during our dating years just talking, since we never lived in the same town, so I feel like we had lots of discussions of do’s and don’ts, likes and dislikes, pet peeves, irritations, etc. before we actually got married. Which has proven to be a great thing for us. We both knew what to expect when we came into this marriage. We knew that we were independent people having spent some of our adult lives alone and living independently. However, we also knew how much we loved each other and couldn’t wait to be together always. And it’s so funny how quickly circumstances and people’s “norm” can change. Just a year ago a typical week for me was filled with dinner with friends, shopping after work, late nights in the office, flying here or there for work, and talking and/or skyping with Jimmy before bed. Now it consists of making dinner, cleaning the house, doing laundry, occasional dinner with friends, date nights, and snuggling with my love on the couch before heading to bed. Isn’t it a great reality though? A year ago I would have been ecstatic to know that  I only had to go 5 days without seeing Jimmy again, and now I pout all week if I know Jimmy has a work trip coming up that’s going to cause him to be gone all week or two. But, that’s life, right – constantly changing and always keeping us on our toes.  We live in a place away from family and all our “old” close friends. But, have grown to find fun things to do in our city together and have met some really great people that we get together with as often as we can, but not nearly enough. We’ve tackled a few house projects together – nothing major as we were really blessed to get a deal on a great (and new) house. Jimmy has taught me some more skills in the kayak and we’ve enjoyed a few day trips to some mild white water. But we honestly probably spend just as much time away from Springfield as we do back "home" in IA. We go back to IA frequently to visit family and friends but have really enjoyed having several friends and family down our way over the summer as well! So, that’s our daily life in a nutshell. More to come on work and pregnancy.
Since finding out “our news” I have kept a journal that I figured I would eventually post somewhere. So, the next few posts are going to be the notes I wrote since finding out we are expecting. I promise this isn’t going to turn into a pregnancy blog but it is a big part of who I am, and we are going to be, right now so I want to be sure and document this story as wellJ



No comments:

Post a Comment