Monday, October 25, 2010

nice to meet you

Welcome to our blog. Who knows who, if anyone will read this but I, like everyone else, wanted a way to document our first years of marriage and a new journey we are just beginning to parenthood. That’s right, we are expecting our 1st child May 5th and we are so excited. God has blessed us both time and time again with amazing family, friends, jobs, and each other. So here is a glimpse into our lives. I thought it’d be appropriate for my first post to be the story of how we met, from both perspectives,  enjoyJ

Jenna's Version
Jimmy & I knew each other for quite a while before we actually started dating. While I was attending UNI I got a job as a part time student with John Deere in Waterloo. During my junior year at UNI Jimmy started working full time at John Deere and happened to be seated in my aisle. I definitely noticed him on his first day but figured I'd let him introduce himself first:) And it didn't take long for him to do so, Jimmy came up and introduced himself, quickly asking for my phone number to hangout sometime. I thought it was kinda funny but went ahead and gave it to him. So for the next few years Jimmy and I developed a friendship. We shared some of the same interests that some of my other friends didn't and I quickly realized that there was something very different about Jimmy. We hungout every now and then but never even talked about dating, plus I knew I wanted to move away once I graduated. So once I graduated I accepted a full time job with John Deere and entered the Marketing program - which meant I would be assigned two six month projects in different locations. My first move brought me to Lenexa, KS in January 2007 - Jimmy and I remained friends, kept in touch and he even came to visit once or twice. In June of 2007 I moved to Des Moines for my next project, and just a few months later in November of 2007 I took a final placement in Raleigh, NC with John Deere and moved hundreds of miles away. In February of 2008 Jimmy decided to come visit me in NC, and I think we'd both agree that this is where the wheels began to turn towards the thoughts of maybe dating. In the month to follow we talked more frequently, visited each other a few more times, and decided to give dating a shot. So in March of 2008 we began our journey. In May we decided to spend a weekend in the NC mountains in Asheville, NC and it was on this trip that I knew he was the man God intended for me to marry. There are countless things I love about Jimmy - his kind heart, his sense of adventure, his spontaneity, his passion for life - all these things he showed me in one way or another on this trip. Since May my love for him has only gotten stronger. I cannot even explain in words the love I feel in my heart for Jimmy. I thank God every day that He has given Jimmy to me and have no idea how I got so lucky. On March 20th I will marry my very best friend, my soul mate, and the one that truly is my better half.
Aisle to Aisle
Jimmy's Version
It all started as a routine day in the office. I was new in my job at John Deere and full of energy, eager to begin my career and meet new people, fresh with a trip to New Zealand under my belt. I can’t recall exactly which day of work I met Jenna, but it was definitely within the first week. Jenna was sitting at her desk minding her own business when I strolled by. What else was I supposed to do but introduce myself and ask for her phone number? So, that’s exactly what I did…after learning of our shared interest in music, of course. I know she thought I was a total creeper and engineer dork. No wonder she never called. Good thing that didn’t stop ME from making the awkward first call.
Several years, dozens of plane tickets, and thousands of phone calls later, I finally asked Jenna to be my wife. It’s funny how it works really. Who would’ve thought the ‘random part-time student’ I bumped into my first week of work would be the woman that I spend the rest of my life with. Weird. Weird but good. Really good.
Abridged version:
- Jimmy randomly introduces himself to Jenna & asks for her phone number. (not yet friends)
- Jimmy & Jenna hang out. (now we’re friends)
- Jenna moves away – Kansas City, Des Moines, Raleigh, NC.  Jimmy in Waterloo. (still friends…)
- Jimmy visits Jenna in NC. (why are we ONLY friends?)
- Jimmy & Jenna talk on phone. (wait, are we dating?)
- Jimmy & Jenna have ‘the talk.’ (yes, now we’re dating)
- Jimmy & Jenna arrange weekend visits for 15 months (long distance = not cool)
- Jenna moves to Waterloo. Jimmy moves away. Jenna mad at Jimmy. (don’t worry, still dating)
- Jimmy proposes to Jenna
-They live happily ever after
So that’s the story of us. It’s a story of friendship to love and a true testimony of God’s timing and trusting in His plan. Like Jimmy mentioned in his version, who would have thought that the random guy I met at John Deere while I was in college would turn out to be the man I’d spend the rest of my life with and feel overly blessed by that mere fact every day of my life. Throughout the years of dating Jimmy, the 9 months being engaged to him, and the past 7 months of marriage I have found myself time and time again just asking God “why?” Why did He provide me such a wonderful man to share my life with? Jimmy  truly is so much more than I ever dreamed of, the person that makes my life complete, my very best friend, and the love of my life. I had some good and some bad dating relationships, some good and some bad decision points throughout my college years, and some good and some bad moments of my faith and walk with God. So how did I ever get to the point where God felt I deserved this man? I still have no idea but I’m overjoyed that He actually did! And not only that but I am astonished that this man actually loves me back and that he loves me more than anything in this world. All I can say is I am one lucky girl! Ok, ok, enough of that mushy stuff. Now onto our real life, but not without a picture of us from way back in the day – long before we ever datedJ

No comments:

Post a Comment