Wednesday, February 2, 2011

housewives & a purpose

So we’ve been snowed in the last few days and forced to work from home. We got an ice storm late Monday night followed by snow all day yesterday and blowing today, coupled with cold cold temperatures. Which means, while working away on my laptop I’ve had the pleasure of viewing some daytime television. Seriously what has happened to TV? It is filled with reality TV, shows of glamorous housewives who do absolutely nothing but primp themselves and go to fancy lunch and dinner parties. It really is quite comical if you think about it. These women married or date rich men which allows them to have no job, spend their time working out, getting Botox, their hair and nails done, meeting each other for a nice lunch of salad and wine, and then going to each other’s fancy dinner parties – awww that’s the life huh?! Which is what I originally thought but when I thought about it a little more I thought about the lack of purpose they must feel and how boring that would actually be. Now don’t get me wrong – I love getting my nails and hair done, and enjoy having lunch with friends - but every day? Imagine what that would be like to actually wake up and not have anywhere you really need to be or anything to do that really matters.
I have always wanted to do something that fulfills me and feeds my passions. While looking at my job description I may have to argue a bit to prove how it does that but for me it goes further than a job title. I work for a company that literally feeds the world. Farmers all over the world utilize our products to grow and build things that feed the world. It took me a while to fully understand that but it truly is an amazing thing when you think about it. I have had the opportunity to work in several of our office, and hopefully, in one way or another, I have influenced the lives of those I have worked with, in a positive way. And beyond my work I think about my role in life as a wife, sister, a best friend, a daughter, a niece, a granddaughter. There are so many roles we are asked to take on and fulfill to our very best ability, so when I think about my purpose and fulfillment in life it comes from those things in addition to the role I play at work in an office every day. As I’ve thought about my options when it comes to work after the baby I’ve thought a lot about the bigger picture in life and where my true purpose lies. While I think it will be very healthy and good for me to stay in the working world, I know my biggest purpose will be to fulfill my role as a mom and a wife, a daughter, a sister,  a friend, niece, granddaughter, and child of God.
So when I watch shows like “The Real Housewives of …..” and find myself thinking about how glamorous and lovely that lifestyle would be, I bring myself back to reality and think about all the purpose my life has and how fulfilled I feel every day because I am surrounded by those I love and that love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment