Friday, November 5, 2010

an apple orchard & a pumpkin patch

Fall is officially here in southern MO. It has started getting cold, leaves are falling, and I love the smells that fill the air this time of year. We live close to a campground so we frequently get whiffs of campfires burning, however there’s nothing like the smell of burning leaves – I love it. We haven’t had the chance to do lots of classic fall activities this year because we’ve been busy with lots of other things. However, we did find some time to do a few things.
A couple weekends back we visited an apple orchard and then a pumpkin patch. It was a gorgeous day and we enjoyed walking hand and hand through the apple trees talking for awhile before we headed inside to their little “store” to buy apples and have a few apple treats. We got a dozen or so apples of different varieties and munched on an apple muffin and apple tart - sooo yummy! It inspired me to make some homemade apple crisp that night and then the next weekend when we headed back to Iowa.
We then took off and headed outside of town to check out a pumpkin patch we had found online. I was looking forward to some warm apple cider and strolling through the pumpkin patch. Once we got there it was a pretty big place. We had to pay to get in, which I found odd, but they did have lots of activities for kiddos that would have been worth paying, I suppose. We walked around a bit then hopped on a hay ride to head out to the pumpkin patch. We made a few loops before picking out our pumpkins, paid for them, and then hopped back on for a hay ride back.



I so much enjoyed that day with Jimmy spent just the two of us walking around, talking about our future together, the future of the child growing in my belly, the traditions we had growing up, and the traditions we want to establish for our own family. I feel so much peace and contentment on days like these where I can see God’s beauty in so many things. Whether it’s a child’s laugh as they run around playing, the colors of the trees as they change with the season, a pumpkin growing out of the ground crusted with dirt, a yummy glass of apple cider that warms you up instantly, or the warm hand of the person I love the most in this world, so many things that God has blessed us with to enjoy each and every day. While it’s easier to feel thankful during this season of the year I remind myself daily to thank God for His blessings and to stop and see the beauty in the things that surround me.

On a lighter note my best friend from college and her husband are headed to Springfield for the weekend and I can’t wait! It’s been a while since we’ve had visitors so I’m looking forward to entertaining them and spending time with a few of my favorite people. More to come from our fun weekend, enjoy yours!

My friend Katie and I back in the day - oops:)

No comments:

Post a Comment