Thursday, January 13, 2011

24 weeks - 6 months

They changed our due date at our last appointment but I am just getting around to changing my pregnancy ticker on here and my weekly updates. Our due date is now May 1st which actually makes me almost 25 weeks. But, I wanted to post my 6 month picture and give an update on this last week so here goes.
We had our monthly appointment on Tuesday and had another ultrasound because at our 18 week ultrasound the tech wasn’t able to get a good picture of her full spine or her mouth and nose – two things our doctor likes to see. So of course I wasn’t going to object to another glance of our little girl. Turns out this little girl is stubborn (Jimmy says after her mama, I disagreeJ) and still wouldn’t let us see her spine. She is in total breech position – head between my boobs and her butt is just under my belly button (no wonder I feel all her kicks in my lower abdominal on the left side!) and her spine is to my back so there was no seeing it in the ultrasound. She did give us a good shot of her little face though – her hands were in front of it for a while but she moved them just long enough for us to get a good look and our tech to get a picture for the doctor. Nose and mouth development and separation looks good. I also must add that I think she looks exactly like the picture I have of me at the hospital! I don’t think they do this anymore but when my mom had us the hospital gave her these little stat cards with our picture on it and I have mine in my wallet. It will be interesting if that is really what she looks like.
Our doctor did seem a little concerned about her position and the fact that I’ve never felt her kicking anywhere other than my lower abdominal, meaning she’s likely always been in a similar position to now and never really head down, along with the fact that my sister has had 2 breech babies. But, she also said she doesn’t get too concerned with their position for another 8 weeks or so.
So my next appointment is a loaded one – I will have another ultrasound in hopes to see that spine and check her position, take the gestational diabetes test, and have my regular check up with the doctor. This will also be our last 4 week appointment, they will then go to every 2 weeks – isn’t that crazy! I just know how fast the time goes between appointments now while they are 4 weeks apart, I can’t imagine how fast they will go once it goes to every 2 and then to every 1 week!
So our prayers the last few nights and chats with baby girl have been that she will change her position on her own and we won’t have to deal with the decision of doing something about her being breech or just scheduling a c section. I really feel ok with either way, I think knowing this soon is good so it can prepare me for either way, and I must say since both my sister’s babies were breech I wasn’t too surprised. So please add our request of continued growth and health for our babe and for her to change positions!
And here’s my 6 month picture (which was actually taken at about 6 ½J)!


6 1/2 months - taken on Jan 11th, 2011

2 comments:

  1. In my doula training, I heard lots of good things about chiropractors using the Webster Technique to get breech babies to turn. Here, a local chiro just got certified in the techinique. My midwife referred three patients to her; all three turned and were uncomplicated vaginal deliveries! Might be worth exploring if there is someone in your area!

    Also, www.spinnningbabies.com is a great resource.

    You'll be in our prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tips emily! hope all is well with your family!

    ReplyDelete