Monday, January 10, 2011

weekend recap

Call it nesting or just getting antsy but I got in baby prep mode this weekend for sure. This was the second weekend Jimmy and I have been back in Springfield since before Christmas so we were anxious to spend some time together and get some things done around the house.
Friday night we went out for pizza at one of our favorite local places, McSalty’s – yummy wheat crust and super cheesy, and then met up with some co workers at the MSU men’s basketball game. We hadn’t gone to a MSU game yet but both enjoy watching sports so it was fun to do something different. MSU just recently beat UNI too so of course I got an ear full from everyone on thatJ
Saturday morning we woke up early and Jimmy took off for St Louis to go snowboarding with our friend Chris for the day. So, being the good wife that I am I got up with him, made him breakfast while he was in the shower and kissed him goodbye by 8am. I then got to work on the house. Agenda: all the Christmas decorations down and packed up then off to start finding things for baby girl’s room. I must say, it’s amazing what you can accomplish by 10am (our usual wake up time on a Saturday) when you get up at 7am! By 10am I had all the Christmas stuff down and boxed up, was showered and ready to hit the stores. I’ve known that I wanted to do her room in pink and zebra print for quite a while but didn’t know exactly what pieces I wanted nor how it would come together. So, during our pizza outing on Friday Jimmy approved my budgetJ and it was time to start finding the deals. I shopped my heart out on Saturday. While I love having a shopping buddy I must admit I love going solo as well – it’s so nice to pop in and out of stores or browse for hours in others because you don’t have anyone else to worry about. I hit up a local baby boutique I had heard lots about but never gone to – Jelly Bean, then Hobby Lobby, Babies R Us, Pier 1, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kirklands, Target, FFO (a furniture store), Kohls, and WalMart. It was a busy busy day and I was exhausted by the end of it but found some good ideas and great deals too! I had one last stop on my way home to get our weekly groceries and then I was looking forward to crashing on the couch with some leftover pizza and watching Step Up 3 – since this was a movie Jimmy would never watch with me and I figured he would be gone most the night. However, to my surprise, after being home just enough time to get all my loot in and the groceries put away Jimmy walked in the door! It was a pleasant surprise to have my hubby home by 7pm when I didn’t expect him until 10 or 11. So, we snuggled up together on the couch, watched some football (I forewent my Step Up 3 choice) and had a nice night in.
Sunday we got up and going in time for early church because I wanted to revisit a few of the finds I tracked down the day before to get Jimmy’s opinion and possibly make some purchases! So after church we hit up Babies R Us and looked at their furniture selection. While they had nice stuff we are still debating on what we want to spend for a dresser. Dilemma: do you buy something inexpensive that will get you through baby and toddler years only to buy them something nicer later on in life for teen and high school years or do you spend more up front and get them something they can use throughout the 18+ years they will live at home? We then snagged some lunch at Panera (yummy!) and head off to TJ Maxx in hopes that the pink chair I spotted the day before would get Jimmy’s approval and match the sheets I had bought. To my disappointment they did not match, not even close. Bummer! Oh well, still looking for a pink chair. On to Target where we purchased a bookshelf that I’m super excited about. We got the one that is made for the fabric baskets so we got the white bookshelf and then pink and black baskets for it – super cute! There will be 12 slots and we got 6 baskets so I’m hopeful that it can dual purpose as a small toy, pacifier, diaper supply holder, and a bookshelfJ Then our last stop was at Sam’s Club to see if they had anything in terms of baby furniture – no luck. So we now have purchased the following items for little Miss’ room: a bookshelf, a lamp, her sheets, curtains, a bumper and crib skirt, and crib (didn’t actually have to purchase – we are inheriting the one my niece and nephew used from my brother and sis in law – thanks guys!) And we have yet to purchase – a dresser, a chair, her chandelier - yes she is having a chandelier in her room, check out how cute they are on potterybarnkids.com, and the few ideas I have in mind for her wall – name spelled out in letters, canvas print of her after she’s born, fancy mirror….we shall see. After our few shopping trips we headed home and got the Christmas stuff put away in the attic and the other decorations back out. I then gave the house a deep clean and put up the other decorations while Jimmy disassembled his drum set and music gear (sad day for him) in prep of that being baby’s room. I know this was a hard thing for him to do as he spends time in their daily but it’s just another change in life as we prepare for our little one, right?! Plus, I reassured him that our next house would have a basement or an additional room where his music domain could be reinstatedJ!
So, we had a pretty busy weekend. I feel good about the things we accomplished for baby girl’s room as I was feeling completely overwhelmed and clueless about it on Friday and now I can’t wait to get things situated.  I think her full closet and drawer full of hair bows were distracting me from actually getting things in order for where she may sleep upon arrivalJ
And today it’s back at work with an agenda full of meetings and projects and then looking forward to a long weekend thanks to MLK! Jimmy is planning to head back to IA this weekend with a load full of music stuff and a car that needs fixed with the help of his dad’s tools while I sit tight in Springfield and enjoy some time with one of my closest friends, Erica! Erica’s family lives just outside Springfield so luckily when she comes back it dubs as a trip to see me! We have a weekend full of yummy dinners with friends, outlet shopping, pedicures, a movie, and who knows what else! Can’t wait to see her!
erica & i
Hope you had a super Monday!
By the way - I had a super Monday due to another exciting event but more to come on that later, maybe tomorrowJ

1 comment:

  1. Jenna- I have to confess how much I LOVE reading your blog. Really makes me regret not having done one myself in the coming months of Syrie's arrival or shortly after. And thank you for the hint on Chandeliers. I looked for months before I gave up on finding the perfect one (and even thought I had checked out Pottery Barn, guess not)without spending a fortune. I may just have to talk the hubby into letting me buy one off their site now. Thanks and Congrats on Baby again!

    ReplyDelete