Tuesday, April 12, 2011

life's firsts

Have you ever thought back on some of your life’s firsts? Experiences tend to shape us into the people we are today and lately I’ve been having some crazy memories and dreams of my life experiences thus far so I thought I’d document some of my firsts in life. EnjoyJ
First Kiss
My first peek was in elementary with one of the “boyfriends” my 2 best friends and I switched every week or soJ But my first real kiss was in 7th grade in Tina Bremner’s basement at her birthday party with Kevin Holtz, whom I dated through much of my middle school days. I still remember that “our song” was “My Heart Will Go On” from the Titanic and I sang it that year at our school’s Homecoming talent show, how cheesy?!
First Friend
This one was a little tough for me but I’m going to go with my elementary inseparables of Alli and Becky. My parents were good friends with Alli’s parents so we grew up, before school days, doing lots of things together – whether it was grilling out, going camping, playing backyard baseball, etc. Alli and I both went to Southdale Elementary and instantly began a friendship with Becky. All through elementary we were the best of friends. We spent the night together almost every weekend, on Friday nights we’d watch TGIF, swim in Becky’s backyard pool, play tee ball and soccer on each other’s teams, form the club CC4LifeJ, and I could go on and on. These girls and their families were extensions of my own and our friendship continued into middle school and high school years before our lives began to evolve in different directions. These are 2 people that I still consider dear friends and always will. We live in different places and live different lives – Becky is a wife of a farmer and a stay at home mother of 3 beautiful daughters, Alli is a musician, wife, and mother to a handsome little boy, and I live in southern MO with my husband and anxiously await our first child. It’s amazing what God does with willing hearts and people’s lives and I am so thankful these 2 were a part of some of my earliest childhood memories and best friendships.
First time I wore makeup
The first time I wore make up…..it must have been about 6th or 7th grade. I don’t remember ever actually asking my mom if I could or asking my mom to buy me some so I have no idea how it came about but I know it was about this time of my life because I switched schools in 7th grade and the one thing all the girls at my new school say they remember first about me was that I wore makeupJ  This proved to be problematic for me as well as they say that was why they didn’t like me right away – haha. Now I think about my little daughter asking me if she can wear make up to school when she’s in 6th grade and I’m not so sure I’ll be on board with thatJ
First love
My first love. I was fortunate enough to experience a good high school relationship that lasted throughout most of my high school years and he was unmistakable my first love. I started dating Kody at the end of my freshman year and he was a junior. He was an older man, he could drive, he played football, he liked me and I thought he was cute – so why notJ?! Due to our age difference my parents set pretty tight restrictions on the amount of time I could spend with Kody and looking back I think that was a great compromise – after all, I was only 14! Kody and I dated until he graduated the following year and then did the on again off again thing for the last few years of my time in high school. Kody and I became good friends that genuinely enjoyed spending time together. We got along very well with each other’s families and I know the things I felt for him was love. We’ve had our share of back and forth dating or “hanging out” through my college years before officially calling it quits quite some time again. We don’t talk and I haven’t seen him for over a year, however, I will always have a place in my heart for Kody and the things he taught me about love at a young age.
First Sports Memory
Sports were such a big part of my childhood and adulthood. For as long as I remember I was playing tee ball, basketball, soccer, and volleyball but softball was always my favorite. I remember playing on my first competitive softball “travel” team in 5th grade and officially becoming a pitcher. Once I finished 8th grade I could play high school softball because I was unofficially a freshman and I remember how excited I was for that. I was the JV pitcher but after our Varsity pitcher got injured just a few games into the season I became the rookie Varsity pitcher at the young age of 14! I played Varsity all 5 years of high school – with several ups and downs. Our team was never overly successful but I remember being proud of the area, conference, and all-state honors I won each year. One of my proudest moments for my family and I was when I signed a scholarship letter to play softball in college at Morningside College. Again, due to circumstances I was thrown into the fire as a freshman and had 2 successful years of college ball before permanently injuring my back.  Softball taught me so much throughout the many many years it was a part of my life. I still miss it around this time of year and really enjoy catching some area high school games when I can. Who knows maybe down the road a bit I will pick up coachingJ?!
First Solo
I have always really enjoyed music and singing so while I know I had a handful of mini solos throughout elementary my first distinct solo experience came in middle school at an honor choir event. Our music teacher, Dr Sharp, had entered me and 2 other girls into a solo audition spot - we auditioned and got it! We had a special music selection during the concert where the 3 of us would perform “The Rose.” We each had a solo verse and then the chorus was a 3 part harmony – haha. Bethany, one of the other girls and still a good friend of mine, still has our debut on tape and it’s hilarious!
First Roommate
This one just makes me laugh. When I went to college I did the whole random roommate thing because 1 – I didn’t know anyone else going to my school and 2 – I thought it’d be a good “experience”, which it was. I remember the excitement leading up to getting that dorm and roommate assignment packet in the mail and setting up that first phone call after exchanging a few emails. I remember enjoying talking to her and while thinking we may not share a lot of similar interests that maybe that would be a good thing. As I arrived that first day she was already there and was definitely excited. While she was a nice girl and we got along just fine there were a few things I remember that just seem to be a little off. For example: the time I got back from a long weekend of softball away games to find a pile of my stuff “neatly” placed outside our room containing a note that read “my boyfriend’s in town for the weekend so I thought you could stay somewhere else….” Or the multiple times I’d find a shirt hung oddly in my closet only to take it out and notice a strong BO odor masked by a mild hint of Febreeze…..ahhhh the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment